The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Let Them Have Music*

Anybody who knows me knows that I love music; and right now I'm going through an intense album phase. Lately I've really been respecting the concept of the album - while artists certainly can't depend on songs being played in any kind of order I like to think that the order matters to them. Listening to an album as a piece is like looking at a series of works by one artist, looking at all of the pieces in a single collection by a fashion designer, or listening to an entire concerto by a composer. Each song, outfit or what-have-you is beautiful and interesting on its own but in the group you can see a theme, how each piece acknowledges it, and how each piece differs from it. In the specific context of music, I really enjoy listening to the different sound variations contained on one album.

These are recent albums I've been eyeing:
Nickleback - All the Right Reasons
Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela
Jill Scott - Collaborations

I recently bought these albums:
  • Joy Denalane - Born & Raised: thoughtful, soulful music with a slightly 70s sound; good songs are Be Real, Change ft. Lupe Fiasco, Start Over
  • Paolo Nutini - These Streets: rock vocals with jazz/rock instrumentals; listen to Last Request, New Shoes, or everything. His voice is beautiful.
  • John Cougar Mellencamp - Freedom's Road: heartland rock with a conscience; some of the best songs are Rural Route, Jim Crow, and Forgiveness

I recently re-discovered Sly and the Family Stone and Three Dog Night. great music.

I'm also really intrigued by iTunes' Power Ballads compilation. I haven't quite made up my mind about it, but it did remind me that I can/should update my own power ballads playlist.

Also, if you haven't checked out the All-Star Tribute version of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On," you really should. A link to the You Tube videos here: the original and the updated.


*This is a movie. Have you seen it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home