The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Another bone-headed moment

I did an amazingly stupid thing yesterday. Something that usually only happens in movies - or so I thought.

I was eating dinner at one of my favorite places last night - Ootoya - and after I had finished I started rummaging around in my bag looking for my wallet. Although it's kind of big it often gets concealed underneath a fold or behind a notebook I always carry around. This time it wasn't there. My heart sank. I started having visions of washing dishes in the kitchen, or better yet creating a diversion then making a fast break - maybe to surreptitiously return with the money.

Instead I calmly walked up to the cashier and asked him if he spoke English. He didn't but another staff person did. I tried my best to explain the situation... uh, I need to pay but I left my wallet at home. I live nearby... can I give you something to make sure I'll come back? Then I'll go home and get it. I'll give you my Suica, my phone, my camera, my iPod... She took the Suica (my train pass, with my commuter information printed on it) then asked if I had any i.d. I told her that it was also at home - in my wallet. She looked at my Suica, which has my name on it, then at the other guy, and they both kind of nodded. She said ok, and I was like THANK YOU - I'll be right back. I probably should have thrown in a couple of 'suimasen' but my head was in English mode. Thankfully I was using my bicycle that evening so I rode home, grabbed my wallet and came right back. I gave them money, got my Suica back, and was on my way.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home