The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Dancecapades, part II; or I Don't Feel Like Dancin'

*'Dancecapades, part I' was posted on the date of the original draft; you can find it between Goldalization and Nippon Karaoke. Stay tuned for ‘Dancecapades, part III’.

For Saturday night (10/21) I had organized a group trip to Roppongi for a concert at the Rock Factory, by an Eigo-speaking band called Invago. There was no cover but the drinks were exorbitant. Luckily, early on I left our seats and came back to find my roommate Amber surrounded by 3 tall, burly New Zealand men. They seemed to really enjoy our company, and bought us beers all night. Amber and I actually came to the bar with 4 guys (Sean, Mark, Ben and Christian) who more or less left us alone after the New Zealanders appeared, so it was like a girls' night out and a guys' night out.

The band was so-so; nice to listen to, but not so good that I wasn't calculating how I could hear the Scissor Sisters' 'I Don't Feel Like Dancin'. During one of the band's breaks I tried to find the dj to make my request, but I had to settle for leaving a note with the waitress. My roommate Amber speaks Spanish, and over the course of the night she discovered that the dj did as well. After Invago finished their final set my roommate convinced the dj (in Spanish) to play the Scissor Sisters! He downloaded it on the spot for me. As soon as he put it on I grabbed Amber and was like - it's time for a dance break! I was going all out, and we were actually the only two people in the bar dancing. It was absolutely magnificent, so much fun.

Not surprisingly, the dj saw me (as did everyone else in the bar). Afterwards we started talking, and in my head I was struggling to think of what I could say to convince him to play the song again. And THEN he said, 'if I play the song again will you dance on the bar?' I was like 'are you kidding me? Of course I will!!' How could I say no to an offer like that?! So, he put it on again, and I hopped up on a stool and swung myself up to the bar. I didn’t know I could enjoy the song any more, but dancing up on a bar top made it absolutely incredible. This time the people in the bar were getting really into it too – doing little dances, clapping and cheering. It felt so awesome to be on top of the bar. It was kind of narrow and half the time I was holding on to the ceiling so I couldn't really go all out, but it was totally euphoric; a completely awesome experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home