The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dancecapades, part I

The week of Nippon Karaoke was a crazy week. The night of karaoke I discovered a song that altered the course of my life - if not forever, at least for a few days. In between karaoke sets the system was playing the Scissors Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'. I downloaded it as soon as I woke up the next day, and I was hooked. This song takes no prisoners. When it comes on dancing is not an option, it just happens. Whether I'm at home, on the train or even walking on the street the song completely takes over my body, willing my arms and hips and legs to mindlessly follow. Fast forward 3 days and I'm dancing atop a bar one Saturday in Roppongi. But first...

That Friday my roommates and I went to a private birthday party at the Ruby Room in Shibuya. We had a really great time hanging out and meeting new people - the place was packed with friends of friends who all spoke English. The dj was really talented, but we really just wanted to dance, and that was not the vibe of the party. I even requested the Scissor Sisters (a common theme throughout the following weeks), but the dj wasn't familiar with it. So with about an hour left until last train we skipped over to the Shibuya Gaspanic to shake our groove thangs. Almost as soon as we got into the club I requested the Scissor Sisters, at which moment the dj pointed out the ‘no requests’ sign. Even so, we had a good time dancing, and we even made it out in time for last train!

Except we got on the wrong train. We realized this when we were quite far from where we were supposed to be. I was groggy when we got on the train, and asleep when the snafu was realized, but luckily my roommates were awake and chatting with a friendly salaryman on the train. They realized what happened near this guy’s stop. We all got out together and he offered to pay for our cab home! He actually got in the car with us, which doubled his fare – and it was already ¥ 4000 to get us home! So it was kind of a crazy night, but one of the less critical misadventures to date.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home