The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Details, Pt. 2*

NOVA is the largest English school in Japan. Apparently students pay good money to go. There are huge Nova billboards and signs all over Tokyo, and I have to admit, I get warm fuzzies when I see them.

THERE exists a super-annoying phenomenon called ‘the last train’. Tokyo has incredible nightlife, but to experience it you have to
a) live nearby
b) go home around midnight
c) stay out all night until 5 or 6am
Japanese and Gagin (foreigners) alike don’t seem to be bothered by it, but it has certainly derailed my plans on more than one occasion… Ok, its 10:30, let’s go! Oh wait, it will take us 45 minutes to get there… the last train is at 11:50… poop!
- small consolation, you can check the last train from cell phones

I TEACH old people. I had a student the other day who was seriously like, 80 years old. I love them. They’re usually quick to smile, and it amazes me that they’re this old and still learning a new language!

SPEAKING of learning a new language, I was under the impression that Nova students had to know some degree of English before signing up for classes. This is not so. It’s fine, except its kind of awkward when I’m trying to teach them basic English in English and we both know that they have no idea what I’m saying.

THERE is nothing like being constantly surrounded by non-Americans (English, Japanese and Canadian alike) to really understand what it means to be American. Apparently people have the impression that we laugh a lot, and our view on customer service is pretty unique.


*Bonus points if you can tell me which song I’m referencing. Extra bonus points for artist and album, respectively.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home