The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Look at the Trees

I'm in the final 48 hours of life in the United States, in the Western hemisphere, in Western civilization! And I'm so not ready to go. Today was supposed to be the day that I got all my bags, and maybe a box packed. Out of 2 large bags, 1 small bag, and at least 1 box, there are 3 hours left in the day, and I have completed 1 suitcase. This is one of those days/things where you plug away steadily and at the end of the day you look bag and say, 'is that all that I've done?!' One of the hard things about this is the scope of the task - I have to include everything I use both in daily life, and when I'm traveling - which can be two different sets of items. The daily life aspect wouldn't be a problem if I could ship boxes at-will, but I'm basically limited to 125 pounds. Its amazing how quickly that fills up. And knowing it is enough to induce paralysis.

Also, the scale of the task makes it hard to focus on; as I realized after talking with a friend today, I need to look at the trees and NOT the forest, which is counter to conventional wisdom (can't see the forest for the trees). So, I'm just going to look at the tree that I just tripped over. Next I'm going to look at the tree whose branch got stuck in my hair. After that I'll look at another tree. When I finally pass through all the trees, I'll look back and admire the forest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home