The Poetist

*arigato-san *Fuchu, Bubai(gawara) *Eigo? Gaijin. Hai! *Last train is first sleep *T-shirts with funny English *I too can create *my own language *a series of adventures *spun into words, here.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

One Tokyo

Today was one of those days where I wake up, and just don't feel like doing Tokyo. I challenged myself to put these feelings in words; This is what I came up with. I titled it as the name of my blog on purpose. The former title, Carrying the Banner, also had an associated poem.

One Tokyo

Tokyo
Is not mine
Flashy, but not exciting
Trendy, but not thoughtful
Tokyo is not mine
Not something I can relate to
Or wish to aspire to

Tokyo is
Money and old Edo
Overworked salarymen and lonely housewives
Working. Drinking. Shopping.
Showy yet secret
– and in its secrets deeply flawed, and
Incredibly proud
Full of traditions yet lacking in community

Tokyo wildly embraces the new
Leaving layers of the old hidden beneath the surface
This is not my city
But I am only one person
And this is only the Tokyo seen through my eyes
This is just one Tokyo.

It may not be mine, but this is the Tokyo that belongs to me.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Tokyo may not feel like yours--but you've selected some poignant words to express your keen observations and knowledge about that space. It's been exciting peeking in on you now and again.
Sharon

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home